The Flood Memorial or "The Stump"

Attractions Clermont

Hours: Note: The site is accessible 24 hours a day.

Phone: 4983 1133
Fax: 4983 2978

Description

In 1860/61 Messrs Hood, Gogg and Manning, who had purchased land on the Peak Downs, sent a party to build huts and yards on their property in readiness for the arrival of sheep. The party consisted of Mr Mingendie (in charge) and Nelson and McDonald. They pitched their tents a short distance down stream from the junction of Sandy and Wolfang Creeks where fine iron bark was to be had for splitting. The only water then was in the lagoon and a small hole just below the present cemetery. Having some experience, they prospected a small gully close to their camp and were fortunate enough in finding payable gold, the rest is history. The town, originally called Hoods Lagoon and later to be named Clermont, was established on the banks of the lagoon. Flooded several times in the next 50 years until the big one in 1916 in which 63 people lost their lives, the town was then moved to its present site. In the late 1970’s it was decided to mount a monument in memory of those who lost their lives in the great flood. A competition was held, and the monument design chosen from entries. The popular choice was that of a monolith in the form of a Tree Trunk: a reminder of those lives undoubtedly saved by clinging to trees until they could be rescued. A suitable tree trunk was located, moulds manufactured, and the sections filled with concrete and left to set. It was then assembled on site, painted and the plaques fitted. The Flood Memorial, or “The Stump” as it is affectionately referred to locally, is sited on the corner of Drummond and Capricorn Streets, the site of the Central Tea Rooms in the old town. The memorial was dedicated on Australia Day 1980.

  • Car park

Map & Directions

Location: Drummond Street, Clermont, Queensland 4721 Australia