Are you heading up to the Mackay Region and looking to stay in the CBD? Well then, this blog is for you. Read on to discover more about the five must-do CBD activities in Mackay.
Before you arrange your itinerary, we’d like to recommend one of the best places to stay close to Mackay’s city heart.
Coral Cay Mackay’s resort-style accommodation is conveniently located on Nebo Road, just a short drive from the CBD. The property has some of the best hotel rooms in Mackay, suitable for business travel, family escapes or just to take a break.
Featuring an outdoor barbecue area, resort-style pool and South Pacific inspired restaurant, Coral Cay is the perfect place to base yourself while exploring what Mackay has to offer.
Here are the five things you must-do if you’re staying in the CBD.
- Bluewater Lagoon – Featuring three-tier lagoons and a fountain, the Bluewater Lagoon is a must visit when you’re staying in Mackay’s CBD. The waterpark is free for all ages and has kids pools as well. Overlooking the picturesque Pioneer River and in the heart of Mackay’s CBD, the lagoon provides a perfect spot for a fun splash in the water on a warm day.
Directions: The Bluewater Lagoon is located on River Street.
- Caneland Central: Located just opposite Bluewater Lagoon, Caneland Central features a diversity of food and shopping options. The two storied mall is home to almost all of your favourite shops and is based on the banks of the Pioneer River. Whether it’s serving you food you like or offering you shops you’ll love Caneland Central has really got it all.
Directions: Caneland Central is located on Mangrove Road in Mackay.
- Bluewater Quay: The Bluewater Quay is Mackay’s ‘Town Square on the River’. Located just on River Street, the Bluewater Quay offers scenic views of Mackay’s CBD and the Pioneer River. On every Wednesday’s it is also home to the Greater Whitsunday Farmer’s Market. The market, which is held from 6:30 am to 10:00 am, gives people a chance to buy directly from farmers in the Mackay region (PS. you should give this market a shot if you’re keen on some delicious coffee and fresh produce).
Directions: The Bluewater Quay is located on River Street.
- Artspace Mackay – Artspace is Mackay’s artistic center and museum. Located in the heart of the CBD, the architecturally award-winning building provides visitors with an opportunity to learn about art within the Mackay Region. Presently, the gallery features some amazing exhibitions including the hypnotic 'Continuum: Donna Maree Robinson & David Pyke' Artspace also features educational programs for all ages, including art classes, workshops, and even guided tours. So, if you’re craving art and staying in Mackay’s CBD, this is the place to be.
Directions: Artspace Mackay is located on Gordon Street.
- Wood Street: In the heart of Mackay’s CBD on the weekend? You should probably head to Wood Street. It features some of Mackay’s best cafes, restaurants, and pubs all in one place. Enjoy a delicious meal at The Dispensary or some amazing breakfast at Moss on Wood and if you’re in the mood for coffee, Oscars Café isn’t far off either (PS. We recommend that you try every single restaurant on this street (as this author has) as they are all equally delicious).